It is true that files in Windows are easily accessible, but there are some exceptions to it. Windows Memory Dump files which are known as DMP (.dmp) files are not that easy to reach and access. Well, the Dump files are the extension files that are stored in a binary format. When an application in a system, whether its third party or a system feature, crashes. Then the dump files containing the information of the crash are automatically created.
Since information of crash is stored in the dump files, many professional users utilize these files to determine the cause of the issues like Blue Screen of Death generating in the system. Generally, these files are small in size, but they pile up over and over and hence end up taking a huge space in the computer system. Cleaning up these file in the order is not a hard task to perform. You have to go for Windows inbuilt disk cleanup utility but the objective of this article is to find a way to read these dump files which many users are unaware of.
So, let’s see how to open a DMP file in Windows
- Open the Start Menu in your system.
- Type View advanced system settings.
- Click to open View Advanced System settings.
- The System Properties window will open.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Settings under the Startup and Recovery section.
- Now, go to Write debugging information section and click the drop-down button.
- Select Small memory dump.
- It will make memory dumps readable with the file explorer like Blue Screen View.
- Click Ok from the bottom of the window.
- Now, again click Ok in the Advanced System Settings window.
- Now, open your web browser and go to the address bar.
- Type nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen.view.html and press enter.
- Now, the BlueScreenView program will find and analyze the dump files. It will enable you to see the program running before the crash.
- Now, click the Download BlueScreenView with full install/uninstall support link.
- Now, click to open the setup file from the location where you saved it while downloading.
- Now install the BlueScreenView and click Yes.
- Now, click Next twice and finally click Install.
- Once, the installation is complete, open the program.
- Select Run NirSoft BlueScreenView and click Finish.
- The BlueScreenView has top and bottom pane. The Dump files are in the top pane.
Now, just click the files to review them. You will be able to view the dump file with the help of BlueScreenView.