If you are using the Microsoft Office on your PC and you are receiving an error message on your screen that is “Microsoft Office cannot retain or find your license key” and even it is automatically exiting, or you will get another error message that says “Windows could not start the Software Protection service on the Local Computer system, Error 5, Access is Denied”. You will get this error message after launching the Services window on your computer system.
The error is “Microsoft Office can’t find your license for this application.”
Just suppose that you are running the Microsoft applications such as- Word or Excel, but an error message like this appears:
“Microsoft Office can’t find your license for this application. A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was canceled. Microsoft Office will exit now” on your computer screen.
Sometimes, Windows search for various Services to start specific software. Such as-, you have launched the Microsoft Word, it will search for a valuable license key. If the corresponding service is not working correctly, then it creates an error like that.
“Windows could not start the Software Protection service on Local Computer System.”
If you have to get that Microsoft Office can be able to find your license for this application. A repair attempt was not successful or failed. Microsoft Office will show an error message by Windows could not start the Software Protection service on the Local Computer, Error 5, Access is denied.
How to fix it?
As already told this problem occurs while opening the Software Protection service in the Services panel, you should follow the below-given step to fix this issue.
Before starting the process, first you need to create a system restore point, and then take the ownership of system components may create your OS a little “less secure.”
1- Take the ownership of the sppsvc.exe file:-
- exe is Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service, and it is a file which is behind this error. This is a TrustedInstaller protected file by default, and you have to get the ownership of this file. To do this, open the Windows Explorer and move to this path: C:\Windows\System32
- C is the system drive here. In the System32 folder, you need to get the sppsvc.exe application file.
2- Take ownership of the Registry key:-
You should take the ownership of registry key. For this, you need to open the Registry Editor.
- To do this, you need to press the Win + R key altogether and then type the regedit.
- Then click on the Enter button. Following that, move to this path:
- After that, right-click on the SoftwareProtectionPlatform and then select the Permissions.
- In the user names list, select the sppsvc.
- Then mark a tick in the Full Control and Read or allow the checkboxes.
- Click on the Apple and then click on the OK button to confirm your change.
- At last, you should check if your Windows issue has been resolved or not.